Frequently Asked Questions

Need help?

You have come to the right place. Here is a collection of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that we get, arranged by topic. We have also included some general Web site information to help you get around, as well as contact information for just about anyone that you would need to talk to. If you have read through this document and do not see your question listed here, please feel free to use our contact form to send us a message, or call us at 317-974-4488.

Membership FAQ

  • Q: How do I know it's time to renew my membership?

    All members will receive emailed membership renewal notices 45 days and 15 days prior to their membership expiration date. Additionally, All Access members will receive mailed paper renewal notices 30 days prior to their membership expiration date.

  • Q: Do I need to notify PAS when my address changes?

    YES. For members in the USA, even if you file a forwarding order with the U.S. Postal Service, publications will not be forwarded to you, because they are not sent at the First-class rate. For all other members, the policies and procedures of the postal services in all other countries are extremely varied. Therefore, if you notify PAS when your address changes, this decreases the chances of missing publications.

    To notify us of an address change, please send an email to - please include your PAS Number, and your new address. You may also call 317-974-4488 M-F, 9am to 5pm EST and speak to the Membership Services Manager.

    If you have an online account, you can also change your Address online by editing your profile.

  • Q: Whom should I contact if a copy of Percussive Notes arrives damaged?

    Our magazines are in excellent condition when they are taken to the Postal Service for mailing. Unfortunately, once they are in the mail system, PAS has no control over how the magazines are handled (or mishandled). Please file a complaint with your local Post Office about the poor condition in which your magazines are being delivered.
  • Q: If my magazine is damaged, can I get another copy?

    Yes. You will need to file a claim within two months of the publication date.
  • Q: I just paid for my membership online, but I still can’t access the PAS network, publications, etc. What else do I need to do?

    Nothing. Sometimes there is a delay in the updating of an expired or new membership, once the payment has been processed. This delay can last from a few minutes, up to the start of the next business day. Please try again, or give us a call if the problem persists. (317) 974-4488.
  • Q: I forgot my password and requested a new one through the online form, but have not received an email. How long should this take?

    Usually the system responds very quickly. However, server-related delays do happen. If you find yourself waiting for more than an hour, please email to request to have your password reset.
  • Q: My membership expired more than a few months ago. I want to renew, but the billing page under My Account tells me I have “No dues at this time." How can I do my renewal online?

    If you are a former member, but it has been more than 3 months since your account was active, your online bill will tell you that you have no dues. You can rejoin by logging-in, clicking on the “join” button, and from there you will be able to update the type of membership you want, along with updating your address and other contact info. A new bill will be created for you, which you will be able to pay online. The process will update your current record and will NOT create a duplicate.
  • Q: How do I find my Member ID number?

    Once you have logged-in at, click on the “My Account” link (this appears where the “Log-in” link was before you signed-in).  Your ID number will appear on the left of the page, along with your expiration date.
  • Q: How do I change my membership type?

    If you are approaching the time to renew your membership and you wish to change membership type for the next year (VIP to All Access, etc.) please email with your current subscription information and the type of membership you would like to change to. For example: “Hi, my name is ______, my member ID is _____, and I want to switch from a VIP Pass to an All Access Pass."
  • Q: Can I change my membership type in the middle of my membership year?

    Yes, but there are certain guidelines. No refunds are available for memberships, so if you want to switch from All Access to VIP, for example, you can, but there will be no refund for the difference in membership costs.

    If you wish to upgrade your membership, from VIP to All Access for example, you will need to pay the difference ($50 in this case). You will also be responsible for any additional shipping costs for sending you back issues that are part of your membership year, should that apply to your situation. You may also choose to forego the rest of your current membership year and start anew when paying for an upgraded membership.


  • Q: Do I have to be a member of PAS to attend PASIC?

    No. VIP and All Access members receive significantly discounted pricing for 4-day and single-day passes, which include access to all clinics, concerts, meetings, expo, and Marching Percussion Festival.

    Those who wish to participate as part of the Marching Festival events, except DrumLine Battle, require Backstage Pass subscriptions (please see event applications for more details).

    Tickets for individual sessions and concerts are available for purchase, along with entrance to the International Drum and Percussion Expo, and subscription is not required for these individual purchases.

  • Q: How do I register for PASIC?

    You can register online, mail in the registration form, or call the PAS office at 317-974-4488. You can also register onsite. The earlier in the year you register, the larger the discount on registration fees.

  • Q: What forms of payment do you accept?

    If you pre-register for the event, we accept personal checks, business checks, school P.O.s and credit card (VISA, MC, AMEX, DISC). If you are registering onsite, only cash and credit cards will be accepted.
  • Q: Do I have to register ahead of time?

    No. While pre-registering will save you time and money, you do have the option of registering onsite. Forms will be available at the PASIC registration desk in Indianapolis.

  • Q: What is your cancellation policy?

    Refunds are available prior to September 30, with a cancellation fee of $50. There are NO refunds for cancellations that occur after the September 30 date (this includes individuals who are offered badges from exhibitors). If you wish to cancel your registration, please call the PAS office at 317-974-4488.

  • Q: What do I do if I lose my badge?

    If you misplace your badge, you will need to get a replacement from the registration desk. There is a $100 fee to replace a missing badge.
  • Q: How many people will be at PASIC?

     Over 5,000 people attend PASIC annually.

  • Q: Can I take pictures/video/recordings at PASIC events?

    While you are welcome to take pictures (no flash please), video and audio recordings are NOT allowed in any performance/clinic/meeting. A special media badge is required for those doing recordings, and PAS reserves the right to stop and remove any individuals who ignore this policy.

  • Q: Are committee meetings open to all PAS members?

    Yes. PAS committee meetings are a great way to be involved as a PAS member. All committee meetings are open to any registered PAS member that wants to attend.

  • Q: I would like to help out at PASIC. What are my options?

    If you are an active member of PAS, the Logistics Team allows you to help out at PASIC, receive a free t-shirt, attend for free, and have the chance to win prizes at the end of the convention. For more information on the Logistics Team click here.

    Those who aren’t members of PAS are encouraged to join our Volunteers and Marching Crew. These individuals will also receive a free t-shirt, along with free admission to PASIC.

  • Q: When is the schedule for PASIC available?

    While the dates for each year’s PASIC are usually available a few years ahead of the event, the lineup of concerts and clinics are posted in late August. However, the schedule is always subject to change. Be sure to download the Guidebook app for the most up-to-date scheduling info. There will also be a schedule available in the PASIC program, and on the printable grids, which will be available for download on the PASIC webpage.

  • Q: Where are all the events held?

    The location of all the events and meetings vary from year to year, depending on the city where PASIC is being held. Details on which rooms the various clinics, concerts, competitions and meetings will be held in are available in the PASIC Guidebook app, the PASIC Program, and the PASIC grids. PASIC 2016 will have all major clinics and concerts take place in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Indiana Convention Center.

  • Q: How accessible is the convention from the hotel/airport?

    Again, this answer varies on which city PASIC is being held in, but PAS always make an effort to make sure there is a good quantity of hotels within a short distance to the convention center.  Shuttles to and from those hotels to the airport are also a strong consideration of ours. For more detailed travel information on this year’s PASIC visit our Travel Information and City Guide section
  • Q: Is there an official hotel for PASIC? Are there group rates available?

    Yes. There are several hotels offering discounts for PASIC attendees through Wyndham Jade, the official PASIC Housing Bureau. You may make PASIC hotel reservations by visiting, calling the PASIC Housing Bureau at 877-557-5332 (US & Canada) or 972-349-5856 (International), or Email: For groups reserving more than 10 rooms, you must call the PASIC Housing Bureau for assistance. To avoid being charged a no-show fee from the hotel, you must cancel your reservation prior to the cancellation policy stated on your hotel confirmation.


Immigration Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: I'm an F-1 student at a U.S. university and about to graduate. Are there any limitations to Post-Completion Optional Practical Training?

    Just to clarify, Post-Completion Optional Practical Training, known as OPT, is authorization for an F-1 student to work, usually for one year, after completing college studies. You must be in possession of an employment authorization card, which takes about 90 days to receive from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once you receive the card, you must work in your field of study. So for a graduate from a music college or music program, this means working in a music-related job.

    Over the past few years, the OPT rules have gotten stricter, but because they are overseen by the international students office or the dean of students office of the school from which the student graduated, there is some flexibility. The general rule is that to qualify for OPT, the student must work regularly. The student cannot accrue more than 90 days of unemployment during the OPT period. Although periods of up to 10 days between jobs will not count toward unemployment, the student must be careful to avoid long gaps between gigs.

  • Q: After I complete OPT, what are the options for staying in the United States?

    Those who arrived as international students, usually holders of an F-1 visa, should start exploring their immigration options early if they hope to pursue music careers in the United States. There are several categories of temporary or nonimmigrant visa status available to musicians and individuals in the music-related professions: O-1 Extraordinary Ability, P-1 International Groups, P-2 Reciprocal Exchange, P-3 and Q-1 Culturally Unique, H-1B Specialty Occupation, and J-1 Management Trainees.

  • Q: Do I have to start out as a student to be able to eventually work in the U.S.?

    Absolutely not.  You might easily qualify for H-1B, O-1 or P-1.  So read on . . .

  • Q: I hear a lot about people working on H-1B and O-1 visas. What’s the difference between the two?

    There’s a huge difference between them. The H-1B visa category is for those who have a four-year college degree or equivalent and who will perform a job that requires that degree. USCIS must consider the job a “specialty occupation.” A typical example is a person who earns a bachelor’s degree in accounting and is hired by a U.S. employer as an accountant. It’s not so clear-cut for musicians. Even though the academic study of music is very complex, the immigration service doesn’t consider the position of musician to be a “specialty occupation” for which a degree is required. In other words, in the view of the immigration service, you do not have to have a college degree to be a musician. So, earning a degree in music performance doesn’t qualify you for an H-1B per se.

    The H-1B visa category is a perfect fit for other music-related professions, however. Say, for example, you earn a bachelor’s degree in music management. This is considered appropriate training for a position with an artist management company. And it might serve as the degree for a musician who will lead and manage his own band.

    The O-1 visa category is for “artists of extraordinary ability” and as such has strict and limited applicability. An artist like Elton John would definitely qualify for O-1. But you don’t have to be an Elton John to fit into this category. I’ve obtained O-1 classification for session musicians, backup singers, and “unknown” artists whose popularity and renown are limited to their own countries. It’s rare that a recent college grad would qualify for O-1 status, but it’s not unheard of. In fact, I’ve done O-1 visas musicians who had graduated only the year prior (at the end of OPT). So don’t immediately dismiss this category. Here’s how it works.

    For O-1, you have to be recognized for your greatness as a musician, composer, arranger, or whatever your area of expertise is. A Grammy Award nomination alone would qualify a foreign musician for O-1. But because it’s relatively rare that a person has been nominated for or received a Grammy, a Dove, or a similar music-industry award, the immigration service created an alternative list of criteria.

    The simple way to describe the alternative criteria is this: you must be very, very good at what you do, and well known for it. Evidence of national and international awards or of performances at significant venues, reviews in music journals, and recordings listed in Billboard or on relevant music charts are the most common types of evidence needed to establish O-1 eligibility. Then of particular importance are the opinions of experts in the field of music. Usually provided in the form of a letter, these letters must be carefully drafted within the framework of the immigration requirements to document a musician’s extraordinary skill and contributions to the industry. Letters of reference may also confirm the significance of any awards or performances. You often need supporting documents, including a nomination letter, photographs, reviews, news articles, tax returns, royalty payment receipts, and publishing or performance contracts. If you haven’t thought about it ahead of time, getting these documents can be difficult. I usually recommend that clients get all the documents your mother kept for you.

  • Q: Once I have an H-1B or an O-1, can I work anywhere I want? And for how long does the visa last?

    The H-1B is employer driven, based on a true employer-employee relationship. This means you are sponsored by that employer and you must work for that single employer. The employer must pay the prevailing wage. The H-1B is limited to a total of six years, which can be granted in three-year increments. After six years, the H-1B worker needs to have another visa category in the works, such as permanent residence, or the workers must depart the United States. Depending on the timing of the permanent residence process, additional H-1B extensions might be allowed. The requirements are very specific, and I discuss potential exceptions with clients based on their individual circumstances.

    The O-1 for musicians does not require an employer-employee relationship in the traditional sense, but there must be a U.S. “sponsor” who takes on the responsibility of filing the petition and keeps track of the individual while he is in the United States. The initial petition requesting O-1 status has to identify the various venues where the musician intends to perform and be paid by the various venue “employers,” and these venues have to authorize the O-1 sponsor to file the petition on their behalf. It’s a bit complicated, but as an attorney, I handle these kinds of matters for musicians and their sponsors. Provided there is an itinerary to support that period of time, O-1 status can be granted for an initial period of three years and can then be renewed in one- to three-year increments. The O-1 is perpetual, so it can be renewed as many times as necessary without limit. If someone is classified with O-1 status, his “essential support staff”—such as a manager, band members, background vocalists, roadies, costume directors, and lighting and sound engineers—can accompany the O-1 artist as O-2 support staff.

  • Q: You also mentioned P-1, P-2, P-3, and Q-1. What are these categories?

    P-1 International Groups can serve as an alternative to an O-1. It can be costly to process an O-1 visa petition for the bandleader, along with an accompanying O-2 visa petition for the entire band, orchestra, performance group, and support staff. And not every group has an O-1 member. Congress recognized this possibility and created the P-1, a slightly less rigorous visa category for bands and groups.

    The P-1 visa category covers the entire group. The group, however, must have some international renown and perform abroad at significant venues. The band that sponsors the foreign musician can either be a foreign band or a U.S. band. What's important is the international reputation of the band.  Although the members of U2, for example, would likely qualify individually for O-1 visas, it would be impractical to file multiple O-1 petitions when a single P-1 petition will cover the In individual musician or the entire group for a tour in the United States. A drawback to the P-1 is that it is issued in only one-year increments, provided that there is an itinerary to support the one year. But it is, however, like the O-1, renewable without limit.

    Now, let’s assume that the artist or band is not internationally renowned but wants to develop a career in the United States. An alternative is the P-3 culturally unique visa category. This visa has three basic requirements: (1) an expert opinion that the group is skilled in presenting a culturally unique art form; (2) evidence in the form of reviews, photographs, and/or articles that the group is culturally unique; and (3) evidence that the group is traveling to the United States for a culturally unique performance. This standard is broadly and liberally interpreted by the immigration service, and the visa category provides an excellent option for musicians and artists who are otherwise not eligible for a visa to perform in the United States. A perfect example of a P-3 group would be Ladysmith Black Mambazo, the South African a capella group that sings traditional tribal music.

    Another option for those who play culturally unique music is the Q-1 visa. It was created to promote artistic cultural exchange. Artists who demonstrate and teach their unique art form in public settings may qualify for Q visa status. The cultural exchange venue or program must be designed to exhibit or explain the customs, history, or traditions of the artist’s home country. An African musician who plans to perform at a cultural community center is a good candidate for a Q visa.

    The P-2 Reciprocal Exchange is a bit different.  P-2 status is useful for musicians who are coming to the United States to perform under a reciprocal-exchange program. To my knowledge, there is only one such program in effect for musicians: the American Federation of Musicians (AFM). Under that program, musicians who are members of the AFM of Canada can request a P-2 classification to tour in the United States.

  • Q: If I don’t qualify for these visas, will working without authorization affect my future immigration applications?

    An individual who works without authorization is deemed to be out of status. If you are an F-1 student and you take a job without work authorization, you have violated your status. You could be deported for working without authorization. A more likely scenario is for the F-1 student to seek “reinstatement,” but this is granted only in narrow circumstances. This type of status violation can be cured by leaving the country and re-entering on your F-1 visa. But do not work without authorization just because it can possibly be cured. Once you violate status, you tread on dangerous territory such as potential deportation and future visa denials.

    I should note that even if you have a work-authorized visa status, you can violate your status. If you are an O-1 musician, for example, but have a side job working as a waiter In a restaurant on weekends, you have violated status. This Is so because O-1 status for a musician allows you to work only as a musician. Like the F-1 student, the O-1 musician would have to leave the country and re-enter on an O-1 visa to cure the status violation. And as a side note, an O-1 musician or F-1 student who overstays status can be subject to deportation.

    Repeated status violations can certainly affect eligibility for a visa in other categories as well as for permanent residence. Avoid any type of status violation and status overstay. Play it safe. If you’re a student, consult with the foreign student adviser at your school. If you’re about to graduate, consult with an immigration lawyer. The time and financial investment are well worth it rather than facing the consequences of going down the wrong immigration path.

  • Q: I heard there's a visa for giving presentations and performances at educational institutions in the US (or was it universities only?). I also heard Canadians are exempt from this type of visa. What's this all about?

    What this question is referring to is the B-1 visa that allows musicians to enter the country to perform at university settings (public and non-profit higher education institutions and affiliated organizations). But it's not a carte blanche to enter the U.S. and play the college circuit.  There's a limit.  And the limit is no more than 9 consecutive days at any one institution and no more than 5 institutions in a six month period.  Also, the institution has be a non-profit college or university or affiliated with such an institution.  You’ll be surprised that most, if not many, universities and colleges are in fact not-for-profit.  You’ll find, too, that many university administrators are familiar with this aspect of the B-1 visa that promotes foreign entertainment on U.S. campuses.

    As for the visa a requirement:  Canadians are visa-exempt but would still be bound by the rule. Same goes for people form the 35 +/- countries that are part of the visa waiver program.  Bear in mind, when you enter on visa waiver, you can only remain in the U.S. for 90 days; you must then leave the country.  No extensions or change of status are allowed.  If you're from a visa waiver country and need to be here more than 90 days, you should apply for a B-1 visa at the U.S. consulate.  Be prepared. It's not always easy!  

    For those of you with a penchant for learning, below is the regulation from the Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual that allows artists to enter the U.S. in B-1 visa status to play the university circuit.  It's pretty cool that this is available because most of the other visa categories for musicians are much  more complicated.  So if the university scene is where you're making your living, this might (might) be a simple visa solution.  (Now, that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one: a simple visa solution).

    9 FAM 41.31 N11.2 Honorarium Payment
    (CT:VISA-1034; 09-24-2008)
    INA 212(q) provides that a B-1 nonimmigrant may accept an honorarium payment and associated incidental expenses for usual academic activities (which can include lecturing, guest teaching, or performing in an academic sponsored festival) if:
    (1) The activities last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization;
    (2) Payment is offered by an institution or organization described in INA 212(q);
    (3) The honorarium is for services conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and
    (4) The alien has not accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months.
  • Q: An artist is touring the U.S. on a P-1 visa (for groups).He has been invited to present at PASIC and represents a European drum company. Can he man a booth to sell and present under a P-1 Visa?

    If someone is on P-1, his or her activities are already pre-determined by the underlying petition that qualified him for the P-1 visa.  Having said that, attending PASIC should not be considered a violation of the P-1, as long as it doesn’t interfere with his performance schedule as indicated on the visa petition.  Demonstrating music technique and presenting at PASIC (unpaid) likewise would probably be considered permissible. But what would be better is if the P-1 petition could be structured to factor those additional activities into the P-1 status.  That way there would be no question: The artist remains in status.  

    As for selling products while on the P-1 tour . . . well, that gets a little stickier.  It typically would not permissible for him to sell products while on a P-1 tour.  I say this because selling products is a form of work not contemplated by the P-1 petition and I don’t think sales work reasonably could be factored into the petition.  So, in short -- ok to attend PASIC, ok to present, but not ok to work in a sales capacity.

    Let's take it a step further.  Let's say the artist is on a B-1 to perform at qualified academic institutions.  My answer would still be the same, unless working at PASIC to sell drum kits had been disclosed on the visa application.  If he applied for the visa as part of a group touring the U.S. on the college circuit, it is highly unlikely the visa application would have included sales work taking orders for drum kits at PASIC.  So, even under this circumstance -- ok to attend, ok to present, not ok to sell.
  • Q: An artist who is endorsed by a mallet manufacturer wants to come to PASIC as a business visitor (B-1) to sell mallets and take orders for drum kits.

     Taking orders while in the U.S. as a business visitor is a perfectly acceptable activity.  Selling mallets on-site is not.  The classic case involves a tailor from Hong Kong who comes to the U.S. to take customer measurements, returns to Hong Kong to make suits, and ships the suits to the U.S.   The drum kit orders fit that scenario.  But selling mallets on-site falls outside the scope of permissible business visitor activities.  There might be some alternative way to structure his activities whereby the orders are taken at PASIC and the mallets are shipped to the purchaser.

PAS Network Questions

My Profile

Q: How do I update my contact information?
Go to your profile and click on the "Edit contact information" link. Edit the fields you wish and save when you are done.

Q: How do I control what information is shown in My Profile?
Under “My Profile”, click the “Preferences” link in the left navigation. This will let you control what information is visible to whom. Please note that selecting the “public” option will make your profile visible to anyone on the internet; we recommend you do not use this option unless you’d like to use your profile as an electronic resume. After you’ve made changes, click the “Save” button at the bottom of the page.

Q: My picture won’t upload. What’s wrong?

The dimensions of the image must be no larger than 600 pixels wide by 600 pixels high. The file size (kilobytes, megabytes, etc.) does not matter. You can check the dimensions in programs like Photoshop, Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Photo Editor. The image must also be saved in a .jpg, .gif or .bmp format.

Q: What if I don’t have a good photo of myself?

Have fun with it. The images enhance the collegiality of the Member Community, so feel free to include any image that reflects your personality, hobbies, pets or the like. Just make sure that the image you include is neither offensive to anyone nor protected by copyright, if you have not obtained permission from its owner or copyright-holder.

Contact requests, community invitations and messages

Q: How can I receive messages, contact requests and invitations from other members in my e-mail inbox?

Under "My Profile", click the "Preferences" link in the left navigation. Your notification settings are at the top. By selecting "Forward Immediately", you will receive the notifications in your e-mail inbox. If you select "Do Not Forward", you will receive notifications only when you log in to the Community. After you’ve made changes, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.

Q: I received a contact request that I don’t want to accept. What happens if I decline?

When you receive a contact request, you will have the option of accepting, declining or sending that person a message. When you choose to simply decline, the request disappears from your contact requests; the person who sent it to you is NOT notified that you have declined. If you’d like to tell the person why you’re declining their invitation, choose the option to send them a message first. After the message is sent, you can click the “Decline” button.

Managing Your Contact List

Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?

There are several ways to add contacts to your list. When you perform a search in the Member Directory, you will see an “Add as contact” link next to each person in your search results. Just click this link to send a contact request. If you click through and view someone’s profile, you can click the contact request link just to the right of their profile picture. Clicking any of your “Peer Groups” links, either from your profile or under “My Communities”, will yield a similar list.

Q: Why should I add contacts to my contact list?
Creating this virtual address book makes it easy to send your contacts messages through the system to stay in touch, ask questions or solicit advice. Additionally, when you view another member’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common with them. Your contact list makes it easy to send invitations if you create a community, and you can also choose to let only your contacts view and/or comment on your blog.

Q: I noticed that I can rate my contacts based on a five-star system. Can people see how I rated them?

Don’t worry – this information is only visible to you. Since you can sort by rating, this feature provides a way to organize your list of contacts. We suggest you give the people you contact most five stars and the ones you contact least one star. Your highest-rated contacts will show up in the left navigation under “My Profile”, making it easy to access their contact information and send them messages.

eGroups (Discussion Forums)

Q: How do I respond to others’ posts?

From a received e-mail or the online discussion board, you can click either the “Reply to eGroup” link to send your message to the entire forum, or the “Reply to Sender” link to send your message only to the sender; both links are located just to the left of the posting. We recommend replying only to the sender for comments like “me, too” that add little value to the discussion.

Q: How do I start a new discussion thread?

In an e-mail (HTML version) from a particular discussion forum, you can use the “Post Message” link in the right navigation bar. You can also use the “Post Message” link found in the left navigation. We recommend bookmarking or adding this link to your favorites list in your web browser to make it easily accessible.

Q: How do I change my subscription settings in the discussion forums?

Click the “My Subscriptions” link in the left navigation. Here, you will see a list of available subscriptions. Select one of the delivery options (Real Time, Digest, PDA or No Email), then click the “Save” button at the bottom of the page. You will get a red message that confirms your subscription options have been successfully updated. This can take around 30 seconds if you change your settings several communities at the same time.

Q: I’m having trouble viewing the HTML e-mail messages. How do I fix this?

If images are not appearing, it is likely that your e-mail client is set to suppress images. This should be something you can change in your security or viewing options. If you would rather receive text-based e-mail, go to the “My Subscriptions” page and select the “Text” format option near the top of the page. Be sure to hit “Save” at the bottom of the page once you’ve made this change.

Q: Why do my e-mails contain a warning that says I shouldn’t forward them?

To make it easier to post and reply in the discussion forums, we have enabled an automatic login feature. This means that your login credentials are encrypted in the e-mails you receive from the forums. If you forwarded this to someone else, he/she would be able to click any of the links and log in to the Community as you. For this reason and for your protection, we strongly advise against forwarding e-mails.

Q: Can I search for postings across all the forums?

Yes. Click “Advanced Search” in the left navigation. This will let you search based on keywords in the posts, search all or specific forums, and select the date range in which you’d like to search.


Q: How do I find other members?

Click the “Directory” link found in the main navigation bar at the top of the site. The Directory lets you search for other members based on:

  • Name
  • Location
  • Membership type
  • Board/committee participation
  • Assembly/society participation
  • Organization type
  • Practice type
  • Practice setting
  • Specialty
  • Interest areas
  • Education (including university, degree, area of study and dates attended)

Resource Libraries

Q: How do I access my group’s resource library?

Click “Resources”, and click on the group whose library you want to view.

Q: Can I search for specific file types?

Yes. When in the resource library area, select “Advanced Search” from the left navigation. This search will let you specify file type: PowerPoint, Excel, image, video, etc.

Q: On what other properties can I search?

The advanced search option allows you to find documents based on keywords within a document title or description or even within its content. You can also specify which libraries you’d like to search, by which author, date posted, tags and more.

Q: How do the libraries get populated?

Your resource libraries are populated in two ways: you can upload documents directly by using the “Add Document” link found in the left navigation. Alternately, when you include an attachment in a forum post, the system automatically places it in the library and sends a link to it to all subscribers.

Q: How do I upload a document?

In the resource libraries area, click the “Add Document” link in the left navigation. Please note that uploading a document is done in three steps and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next. First, you will choose a title for your document, include a description (if you’d like) and select the library to which you’d like to upload it; then hit “Save”. “Step 2” then activates, allowing you to browse for and upload your file. After uploading, you will have the option of adding tags or keywords to your document so it is more easily searchable.

Q: What kind of documents can I upload?
The system supports literally dozens of file types: PDFs, Powerpoint, Excel, Word, images and even video. You are, however, prohibited from uploading copyright-protected documents that you do not have the rights to post.

Q: What are the “tags” for?

Tags are another way of organizing and searching for documents. You can help others find the file you uploaded by including tags when you upload it. We have given you a few sets to choose from, but you can also add your own. Other members can also add tags to your document, further enhancing this search feature. This comes in handy because the name of the same policy or procedure often varies between practices.

Q: I have several related documents. Do I have to post them individually?

No. You can post related documents together, and we encourage you to do so. Follow steps 1 & 2 to upload your first file. Then, rather than saving, perform step 2 again to upload another file. Continue that process until all of your related files are uploaded, then add your tags and hit “Save.”

Q: Can someone else edit or delete my file?

As the owner of the document, only you or a system administrator can delete your document. If you’d like to delete it, just click the red “X” that appears when you view the document details.

Q: Can I download documents?

Absolutely. That’s why they are being shared. However, please note all of these documents have been submitted by your peers and have not been reviewed by ISES. You must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of any content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of such content.

Contact Us:

Percussive Arts Society
110 W. Washington Street Suite A
Indianapolis, IN 46204
T: 317.974.4488
F: 317.974.4499
  • rscoverfooter

Follow Us:

Site Links: