Tips for international musicians who want to work in the U.S. - By Linda Rose, Esq.

Linda Rose is an attorney and a musician in Nashville, Tennessee. She is the managing member of Rose Immigration Law Firm PLC. Given her firm’s location, Rose focuses primarily on immigration issues in the music and entertainment industry. The firm also handles immigration work for international corporate transfers and in higher education.

Rose holds a nationally-elected seat as a director of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. She is listed on the bar register of preeminent lawyers, is an adjunct professor of law at Vanderbilt University Law School, and has consistently been named by the Business TN magazine among the state’s top lawyers.

Rose is also a PAS member and has lectured at PASIC on several occasions. She plays jazz vibraphone, African xylophone, and hand percussion and leads the Rose on Vibes Quintet. (see She has traveled to Ghana, Africa, multiple times to pursue her love of the gyil (African xylophone), percussion and world music.

She can be reached or  Below, she answers some of the most common questions musicians and foreign students ask.  She will update this page regularly with more information.

Disclaimer:  The information provided to PAS on its website should not be construed as definitive legal advice pertaining to your case.  For particulars concerning your personal immigration issues, you should consult with an immigration attorney.

Immigration Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

  • I'm an F-1 student at a U.S. university and about to graduate. Are there any limitations to Post-Completion Optional Practical Training?

  • After I complete OPT, what are the options for staying in the United States?

  • Do I have to start out as a student to be able to eventually work in the U.S.?

  • I hear a lot about people working on H-1B and O-1 visas. What’s the difference between the two?

  • Once I have an H-1B or an O-1, can I work anywhere I want? And for how long does the visa last?

  • You also mentioned P-1, P-2, P-3, and Q-1. What are these categories?

  • If I don’t qualify for these visas, will working without authorization affect my future immigration applications?

  • I heard there's a visa for giving presentations and performances at educational institutions in the US (or was it universities only?). I also heard Canadians are exempt from this type of visa. What's this all about?

  • An artist is touring the U.S. on a P-1 visa (for groups).He has been invited to present at PASIC and represents a European drum company. Can he man a booth to sell and present under a P-1 Visa?

  • An artist who is endorsed by a mallet manufacturer wants to come to PASIC as a business visitor (B-1) to sell mallets and take orders for drum kits.